Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Corn with Cherry Tomatoes & Aleppo Pepper


We don't need to have a big conversation about this one.

I've made a variation of this dish many times this summer. I think I've got it where I like it best. Quick, easy, substantial, and kind of exciting. This corn won't blow your mind, but I bet it will keep you wanting more.


I cut the kernels off the cob before cooking them. Some do this the other way around. I'm not sure that it matters.

Shallot is sautéed with a few shakes of aleppo pepper and maybe one and at most two of crushed red pepper flakes. The corn is added and tossed or stirred around a bit. I like the corn with a bit of color on it. There's more nuttiness with the sweet that way. Add the cherry tomatoes and cook for a wee bit more. Throw in a handful or two of chopped cilantro. Salt and pepper.


Eat!

Lovely with salmon or really any protein for that matter. It's a very versatile side that would taste great with mint or basil. I've certainly used onion and garlic in lieu of shallot in a pinch.

The aleppo is key. I like the slightly fruity warmth it adds without too much heat. But you'll notice the addition of red pepper flakes, so I clearly I need a little.

Corn with Cherry Tomatoes & Aleppo Pepper

2 ears corn
15 or so cherry tomatoes or yellow pear tomatoes, halved
1 medium shallot, chopped
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon aleppo pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
A handful or more cilantro, roughly chopped

Cut the kernels off the cob, shaving down into a large bowl. Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shallot and sauté until almost translucent, 5 minutes. Add the corn, aleppo, and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally until the corn colors a bit, turning golden brown here and there. Season with salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and toss a few times or stir a few times, until the tomatoes soften slightly. You don't want them to turn to mush. Remove from the heat and mix in the cilantro. Serve.

Serves 3


1 comment:

Monique said...

I could go for this right now!!