Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Summer's Aperitif


The weather is slowly starting to warm up, with summer just around the corner. Why wait to cool your heels? Here's a refreshing way to toast in the new season!





Dolin Vermouth de Chambéry Blanc.

We drink quite a bit of vermouth in our house. Mostly a mix of the red and dry Italians (Cinzano or Martini & Rossi). Half and half is about right with just a splash more red.

It's great with a lemon twist, either on or off the rocks. But just try ordering it in a bar -- Huh?! The bartender will shrug, puzzled.

You'll have to trust me on that.

Lately, I've been fooling around with the French. Dolin makes red, dry, and white ("Blanc" -- also famously known in Italy as Bianco). They have been in production since the 1820's and are the only maker of Vermouth to have earned the Appelation d'Origine for Vermouth.






I've been drinking the Blanc on the rocks with a lemon twist. It is not too sweet, herbaceous, and dry. Apparently made with some fifty-four herbs and plants, Dolin's Blanc has a gorgeous nose.




At 16% alcohol, it's good to have a new drink that is lighter than my usual Jameson Irish Whiskey or my summertime G&Ts.

Cheers!

2 comments:

vivajoyriot said...

Finally! Someone who won't look at me cockeyed when I say I'm in the mood for a Martini Bianci! My friends drank this every afternoon in France, but because I was a teetotaler then, I wasn't properly introduced until we took my Mother-in-law to Palm Springs. On that trip, she initiated 5:00 cocktail hour, in which we'd enjoy a Martini Bianci on the rocks with a twist of lemon with our Sun Chips and watch the evening news. So civilized!

Helen said...

Sounds so sophisticated. I won't even wait for the summer but I'm going out to buy some today. Thank you for the recommendation for our evening relax and socialize time.